I started making a table this weekend after talking about it for 6 months and kicking ideas around in my head on how to assemble it. Now I’ve got a lung full of sawdust and I sneeze little sawdust clouds, but I have the beginnings of a hopefully awesome table. I only have the top assembled so far, and it already weighs about 300 pounds. No one will be stealing my table. Here’s a couple of pictures.
It's made from the cheapest 2x4s money can buy. I have a lot of sanding ahead of me from here on. Hopefully I can level it out and sand out a lot of the imperfections in the wood. The legs and base should be fairly straightforward once I get everything sanded.
It's looking more and more like a table. I was hoping to make more progress, but I got rained out on Friday. The monsoon rains we’ve been getting are much appreciated, but they swoop in really fast and then I have to scramble to get everything inside before I get drenched.
And a few hours later, it’s together and upright. It’s a little tall because I haven’t cut the legs to length yet, but it sits on all four legs, which was surprising. I still have a lot of sanding ahead of me.
Quite a bit of sanding later, it was ready to stain. I decided to stain it in the dining room so I wouldn't have to move it again.
Here's after staining, looking really good. Just need to do 2-3 coats of polyurethane and then I’ll be done.
I put the last coat of polyurethane a few days later, and the table is finally done.
We ate dinner on the new table tonight, and it didn’t collapse, so I guess it was a successful venture.